Friday, July 4, 2014

‘The Fruit of the Spirit ’Zine’ (A Look at International Zine Month)

Yes, today’s Independence Day, the 4th of July. I’m very happy to have my freedoms here in the United States, and I’m grateful to my ancestors who fought and survived multiple hardships so that I could live comfortably. But today I decided to write about International Zine Month instead of the American Revolution.

If you’ve been living under a rock for the last half century, you might be new to this concept. “Zines” are those amateurish mini magazines that we all made as kids that usually had a distribution limited to parents, siblings, and a few “bestest” friends. I remember my sisters and I publishing a few eons ago, and I never really thought I’d do that again until last July. I was teaching the kids’ class here at Alhambra Church of Christ. Some lessons were designed to reinforce the “Fruit of the Spirit” theme (from Galatians 5:22-23) that they had in Vacation Bible School (VBS). With some randomly assigned ClipArt and an industrial sized stapler, I became publisher once again. Introducing The Fruit of the Spirit ’Zine!

This is what the page layout looks like:
  1. Title Page (with space for name) – Right (Front)
  2. Fruit of the Spirit Verse (Galatians 5:22-23) – Left
  3. Fruit of the Spirit Tree – Right
  4. Love: Apple (Matthew 22:37-39) – Left
  5. Joy: Pineapple (John 16:24) – Right
  6. Peace: Peach (Psalms 34:14) – Left
  7. Patience: Avocado (Proverbs 25:15) – Right
  8. Kindness: Cherries (Proverbs 21:21) – Left
  9. Goodness: Banana (Romans 15:14) – Right
  10. Faithfulness: Limon (Proverbs 3:3-4) – Left
  11. Gentleness: Grape Bunch (1 Peter 3:15) – Right
  12. Self-Control: Pear (1 Corinthians 9:25) – Left (Back)

This year I taught a special “Great Women of the Bible” series, but didn’t have time to make another zine. Maybe later when I have some free time. (Ha-ha!) In the meantime, readers, I hope you enjoy my zine and share this craft idea with your kiddos. And Happy Independence Day!